Friday, October 7, 2011

I'm Baaaccckkk!



Hey ladies and gents! I'm sure you've noticed I've been on a little summer hiatus. Went on vaca and saw the family in Southern California. Took some kids to camp with Young Life. I got a new job, working with an awesome non profit in education, and I moved! The hubby and I are in a beautiful cottage styled duplex home, where we share the space with our two rumbustious dogs.

Overall, this summer has been fantastic. But honestly I'm over the heat and am so ready for the fall. Fall to me is cold nights with a jug of caramel apple cider (homemade) or tomato soup with a cheesy grilled cheese sandwich. Fall also means to me tons of pumpkin, sweet potato, and apple dessert recipes! I'm just dying to dive into the many dessert recipes that I've collected to try this season and I can't wait to share them with you.
The fall and winter season is always my busiest year for baking, so I'm stocking up on pie boxes, cupcake trays and recycling oatmeal cans or coffee cans for my sweet holiday presents.  But, before I get into my October thrills, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays by the way, I am going to recap on some of the best summer recipes I tried this summer.




Key Lime Tart with Chocolate Cookie Crust


There is this local bakery that sales a lemon mouse tart with a chocolate cookie crust, and I salivate at the idea of biting into that tasty treat. I'm a huge fan of tart tasting desserts, like lemon bars and lemon cake. This summer I wanted to play around with limes. I started using a lot of limes in my sherbet recipes and played around with the idea of doing margarita cupcakes with lime, but the lemon mouse tart was on my brain. So, I looked at tons of recipes, first google-ing "key lime tart with chocolate crust". There was not many recipes out there, so I narrowed it down to "key lime tart". Wasn't too successful so I typed in "key lime pie" and hundreds of recipes popped up.  I knew I could modify a pie recipe into a tart so I narrowed it down to the easiest recipe with the best reviews and found one from allrecipes.com and combined it with a cookie crust I've been using from my own recipe box. Beware, this tart is TART! But with the balance of the sweet chocolate crust you will have a nice little party going on in your mouth. Enjoy :)


Chocolate Cookie Crust
  • 22-24 Oreo cookies
  • 3 tablespoon of butter

In a food processor grind up cookies with butter. Press the mixture into a 10 inch tart pan. Do not butter the pan. Once evenly pressed, put crust in the refrigerator until ready to fill.


Key Lime Tart filling


  • 3 cups of sweetened condensed milk (two cans)
  • 1/2 cup of sour cream
  • 3/4 cups of key lime juice (about 30 key limes) 
  • 1 tablespoon of key lime zest



Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C)


In a medium bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix well and pour into the chocolate cookie crust.


Bake in preheated oven for 5 to 8 minutes, until tiny pinhole bubbles burst on the surface of pie. DO NOT BROWN! Chill pie thoroughly before serving. Garnish with lime slices and homemade whipped cream if desired.



While taking a picture I couldn't help but sneak a bite. Is your mouth salivating yet? 

*NOTE: To effectively get juice from the key limes, use a garlic presser. I got much more juice of of using the garlic presser than a lemon juicer. 



Peaches and Cream Tart
Recipe Courtesy of Paula Deen


Yep guys another tart! I bought a set of tart pan from Michaels with my 50% coupon, I never shop at Michaels without a coupon, and I was determined to put my pans to use. Peaches were in season and boy were they sweet. So I used some I had on hand after already making a peach cobbler a week before. The results were fantastic. 


Crust
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 2 tablespoons sour cream
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. 
Place flour, butter and sour cream in a food processor and pulse to combine until the dough forms into a soft ball. With floured hands press dough into a 10 inch tart pan. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned. Let cool while preparing the filling. 

Peaches and Creme Filling
  • About 6 medium peaches, peeled and sliced
  • 3 large egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup all purpose flour
Glaze
  • 1/2 cup of peach or apricot preserves warmed (1 minute or 2 in the microwave)
  • two tablespoon of lemon juice

Lower the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.



Peel and slice the peaches into thick slices.  Arrange the fresh peach slices in overlapping circles on top of the crust, until it's completely covered. Overfill the crust, as peaches will draw up during cooking. 




Combine the egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, and flour and beat until smooth. 



Pour the mixture over the peaches.
Place the tart pan on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour, until the custard sets and is pale golden in color.
Cover with an aluminum foil tent if the crust gets too dark.


Transfer the tart pan to a wire rack to cool. When cool, remove the side wall of the pan. 
To make the glaze, combine the preserves or jelly and lemon juice. Spread with a pastry brush over the top of the warm tart. Serve the tart warm, at room temperature, or chilled. I've tasted the tart both warm and chilled and both ways taste awesome.  



I got these wonderful cute Paula Deen tins from Michaels. They were on sale for 70% off! What would be more fitting then to put a Paula Deen tart recipe in one her her beautiful tins.






 


















No comments:

Post a Comment