Thursday, April 14, 2011

A "Glazed" Breakfast

Today, after running my two miles I decided to treat myself to a donut (Don't judge me :). I went to my favorite donut shop around the corner from where I live, called Java Donuts. They have two locations, but the newest one is on Elk Grove boulevard. If you haven't visited this shop you are missing out. They have the best donuts, and creative ones as well. Just like Voodoo Donuts in Portland Oregon, Java Donuts has the funky delicious treats that children and adults love. Ever tried a maple bacon donut, or a Butterfinger chocolate donut? If not, head on over but come early cause they run out fast. 

So, back to my donut venture. I got a glazed donut, and on my way home, day dreaming about how good this donut was going to be, I started to think Java Donuts should really sale breakfast sandwiches. When In lived in San Francisco for a short bit, there were plenty of bakery shops on the corners that sold  baked goods, steamed BBQ pork buns (my fav), and breakfast sandwiches that were usually on croissants or bagels.  None of these places exist near me in Elk Grove, with the exception of Java Donuts that sell donuts and muffins. So, I thought if Java Donuts made breakfast sandwiches, what could they make that would really stand out from the rest. And then it came to me. A Glazed Bacon and Egg Sandwich, Yes that's it! 

About a year ago, on Man vs. Food, they had an episode on Ballpark eats and they showcased the Grizzlies stadium where they sold burgers on Krispy Kream donuts. I was drooling of course, but when I thought back to that episode I said hey I'm going to make me a breakfast sandwich with my donut, REMIX...

I started with the classic glazed donut

I cut donut in half and started toasting it with butter

While donut is toasting I cooked two slices of bacon, cut in half
I beat one egg, lightly seasoned with pepper. Didn't include salt, because of the bacon. Before egg is done i sprinkled in some cheese





Once the donut is toasted it is time for assemble, and let me tell you, while the donut is toasting the smell is intoxicating. It's like between a cinnabun and french toast. 




                                         

                                      
Here it is. I officially call it the Shani-glazed breakfast sandwich. The glaze from the donut sort of crystallizes and gives the sandwich a great crunch. The salty and sweet combination is fantastic. Loved it! Yeah I'm sure somewhere in this big ole world, someone else has thought of it, but I like to think this genius mind of mine created a beauty that maybe soon all will be able to enjoy. 




My fatty moment of the day, lol 
Well I'm satisfied. Now I have to go run it off. Geesh

No comments:

Post a Comment