Tuesday, November 8, 2011

An Apple A Day...

November is the officially APPLE month for me. I love apples, and I love creating delicious treats with apples. The holidays are here, and it's the best time to get all kind of apples for cheap. One day, when my hubby and I finally get a house, the first thing I do will be to plant an apple tree. Do apple trees grow well in Sacramento? 



My favorite recipe to make, using apples,  is my Caramel Apple Cheesecake. Sorry guys no recipe shared on this one. I'm keeping this baby sealed and tight. Using the inspirations of three different recipes and I came up with my version and it hasn't failed me yet. I even one the first annual church bake off at Elk Grove Bible Church. I won a beautiful leather bonded John MacArthur bible. If you are looking for a good bible, get the John MacArthur ESV study bible. It's fantastic.



I had some left over apple filling from the Apple Caramel Cheesecake and I made earlier this week, and  I sure didn't want it to go to waste so I thought about making some apple muffins. My husband and I, well more my husband, tries to stay away from while flour and sugar, so I tried to find online healthy apple muffin recipes and was bombarded with different variations of  recipes all sounding very scrumptious to make.
But, one in particular caught my apple, Smitten Kitchens Whole Wheat Apple Muffins. 1. Because the pictures of these muffins on the website were so inciting. 2. The recipe was healthier than any of the other recipes I looked at and  3. I notice many other websites and bloggers used the recipe as a base to create their own apple muffins. So, I figure this muffin must be a winner!

And boy was I right. These muffins are so unbelievably moist, really it's almost like eating cake, and that surprised me when using whole wheat flour. Whole wheat get's such a bad rap, but when you use it right it can be an awesome substitution for white flour.
A couple of changes I did decide to make was to substitute white sugar for splenda. I may of not even needed the splenda considering the sauteed apples were already sweetened with sugar. Also instead of 1/4 of the brown sugar sprinkled on top, I put the whole 1/2 cup of brown sugar in the batter. That was actually a mistake. Didn't read the directions carefully, but it worked.

If you have any extra apples that you need to get rid of, this recipe is a must! Click on the title for the recipe.

I'm not as healthy as my other half, so I smothered mine in butter. I'm so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment