Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentines Day everyone!


This year I did my classic Strawberry Shortcake cupcakes, using fondant to achieve the valentine decorations. I got inspiration from www.mycakeschool.com and they were pretty easy to do. 





 

 What was really tough to do, was the Red Velvet Valentines Day gift box cake. Inspired by a Bakerella's creation, I attempted to do a cake box with pink fondant and candy coated red velvet cake balls. Bakerella gives very good instruction on how to assemble the cake. My problem, was the stupid fondant. I always use Wilton's marshmallow rolled fondant recipe, and have had great success with it, until today. Boy was it rough getting this fondant to corporate. Whatever went wrong, went wrong. No matter how hard I tried to keep the fondant was drying out, it wasn't working. First it would stick too much, then after getting it to what I thought was the right consistency, it started drying out and cracking. Arrggghhh! It was extremely frustrating, but I stuck with it and I'm rather proud of the out come.




 My little helper, Jasmine wanted to make something sweet for her mother for Valentines Day so we used hot pink fondant for her cake. It was her first time working with fondant, and I think she did very well. For her cake instead of using cake balls, to cut down on time, we used mini red velvet cupcakes, Dipped and decorated the tops. She enjoyed making the cakes so much, she went home and made three more! I think a little pastry chef is in the making.


No comments:

Post a Comment