Monday, November 28, 2011

"Leftover" Turkey Pot Pie



After a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, I couldn't bring myself to utter the word pie considering all that I ate over the weekend.  Truly sinful. But I had plenty of turkey left, and it was obvious to me to make a Turkey Pot Pie. Pot Pie is one of those "all in one" dishes that is such a comfort food for the winter. This recipe is super simple and takes no time to prepare.The original recipe calls for milk, but my husband is lactose and to cut down on the fat I left it out. I often make chicken pot pie with cream of chicken, and in my opinion it taste better with out it. My husband even says it taste "healthier". My mother in law left over some ready made crust at my house, and although I cringed for the moment at the thought of using store bought crust for this pie, but when your in the a time crunch, who cares! I still encourage everyone to try and make their own crust, but when you have a hungry husband, or kids, store bought crust get's the job done. Enjoy. 


Ingredients: 


1 recipe pastry for a (10 inch) double crust pie
4 tablespoons butter
1 small onion, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, diced
2 tablespoon Italian Seasoning
1 teaspoon Poultry Seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
2 cubes chicken bouillon
1 cup of water
1 cup of chicken broth 
2 medium size potato, peeled and cubed
1 1/2 cups cooked turkey, cubed
1/3 cup all-purpose flour 


Directions: 
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Roll out bottom pie crust and place in the 10 inch pie pan (I only had a 9" on hand and it worked fine). Set pie inside the freezer until ready to use. 
  2. Place 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large skillet. Add all veggies, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until the vegetable are soft. Stir in the bouillon with the water and 1/2 cup of chicken stock. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir in the potatoes, and cook until tender but still firm. 
  3. In a medium bowl, take 1/3 cup of flour and whisk in the other 1/2 of chicken stock until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture until fully incorporated. Stir the chopped turkey into the vegetable mixture, and cook until thickened. Use more chicken stock into the mixture if too thick. You want the pie to have enough sauce and not be dry. 
  4. While filling is cooking, place frozen pie shell in the oven and blind bake it for 10 minutes (See note below)
  5. Once filling is done, pour mixture into the partially baked pie shell. Roll out the top crust, and place on top of filling. Flute edges,and make 4 slits in the top crust to let out steam
  6. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) and continue baking for 20 minutes, or until crust is golden brown. 
Note: Blind bake helps the crust from not getting soggy from pie filling. I use this method for all fruit pies and quiches. Give you a nice bottom crust every time. Click this link to get instructions on how to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment